0

Module One - TASK A - Telnet

Posted by colzz on 5:25 AM in
The Task

I have two computers with different operating systems (Vista & XP). I first read the Windows Vista Help: Telnet directions. I wanted to try it out on both operating systems, so I had to enable the Telnet feature in Vista and I also enabled the Telnet service on my XP computer.

Firstly tried using telnet://library.deakin.edu.au/ in the URL box of my browser but it didn't seem to do anything. So I remembered back to when I used DOS and attempted to use telnet that way. I typed "telnet library.deakin.edu.au" at the DOS prompt. It came up with some kind of error on my Vista computer (strange letters randomly placed all over the DOS screen), but at least I felt I was perhaps on the right track.

After failing on Vista, I thought I'd try the same approach through XP. So again I used "telnet library.deakin.edu.au" through DOS and bingo!

After successfully connecting to Deakin Library, it first asked me "What kind of Terminal are you using?"

It gave me the options of: V (for VT100) or W (for NCSA VT100)


[Screencapture from telnet://library.deakin.edu.au/ 5 March 2009]

I had no idea so I chose the first one to see what would happen. It worked!!


[Screencapture from telnet://library.deakin.edu.au/ 5 March 2009]



I then proceeded to carry out my task of searching the database and received the following result:

You searched for the AUTHOR: bennahum Deakin:All Location

2 AUTHORS found, with 2 entries; AUTHORS 1-2 are:

1 Bennahum David A 1936 ................................. 1 entry
2 Bennahum Ninotchka .................................... 1 entry



Reflection

I found the task a little difficult at first. It certainly wasn't as easy as just going to a web address. I first had to learn how to turn on the Telnet service and had to do a bit of experimenting to get it to work.

I wasn't happy using Telnet and I feel that you would need a certain level of computer experience to be able to use it well, though I can see how Telnet may still benefit people in some ways.

It was very fast as it was only text. No fancy pictures or sounds needing to be loaded into a web-browser and It would be a great resource for people using older computers or cheaper operating systems.

P.S. I restarted my Vista computer and tried using Telnet through DOS again. This time it worked.

References:


0 Comments

Post a Comment

Net11 Studies - colzz blogg